Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

Mavs and Spurs


I watched most of this game last night and I really felt that the game itself was never in question. The other thing that I thought was that I love team stability. I love rooting for teams where I don't have to ask myself if the head coach should be fired (i.e. A & M). That's the feeling I get from Avery, he's the kind of coach who I could envision being around for a really long time. I think it's pretty rare that a coach can simply walk over to the bench and coach the way he has. I still don't always agree with his in-game substitutions, but that's really minor and that's why you have Del Harris.

I think that's why I don't put much stock into the game on Thursday. I don't doubt its importance, however, I do not think that it's the end of the world if the Mavs get blown out. Right now, it's just a game that the Mavs need to stay ahead in the standings. Let's not forget that Van Horn, Harris and Howard all sat out last night. When's the last time that a team could sit a starter and two key role players and not really have to worry about depth? I think it's been a while.

A sample Wunderlic (via Sturm).

From our favorite Cowboys Blog:

"– The Texans are considering swapping picks with the Jets. Newsday claims a proposed deal could have Houston move from 1 to 4, gaining DE John Abraham in the process. The Jets could then select USC QB Matt Leinart.

The move makes some sense from a points perspective. The top pick is worth 3000 points on a draft value chart. The fourth pick is worth 1800 points. The 1200 point difference is equivalent to the 12th pick in the first round.

Abraham was taken 13th overall in 2000.

The article also claims that Leinart is the hot QB, with the Jets, Saints and Titans all having serious interest in the 2004 Heisman winner.

— The Boston Herald mentions Cleveland, Dallas and Miami as possible landing spots for Patriots OLB Willie McGinnest. Not surprisingly, those three teams run 3-4 defenses and are coached by members of the Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick coaching fraternity. McGinnest has stated his desire to stay with New England.

If Dallas were to acquire McGinnest, it would be a case of better late than never; Jerry Jones tried desperately to trade up in the 1994 draft and select McGinnest, who Jones saw as a replacement for Charles Haley. Jones had a deal worked out with the Rams that would have sent WR Alvin Harper to St. Louis for the 5th overall pick. Parcells scuttled his plans by selecting McGinnest with the 4th pick.

— New England feels confident it can re-sign K Adam Vinatieri if a new CBA is worked out this week.

— The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that free agency will be delayed one to two weeks so teams can reassess their salary caps after the expected CBA extension is ratified this week."

Drew Henson has an online journal.

NFL Draft stuff.

Soriano is a kinda crazy.

EDIT: I created a Flickr account so if you want to post pictures of us then let me know and I'll email you the Yahoo ID and password.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home